August 8, 2017
Once or twice a month, we like to share IAI Actuator News with the automation community. In this issue, we are introducing a Quick Selection Help Tool for our Single-axis actuators.
Selection Tool for Single Axis Actuators
IAI provides single axis actuators of all types and sizes. Finding the right one for your needs can be daunting if you have to search through many separate catalogs. To help you more easily narrow down the huge variety, we have added a new single axis actuator selection tool at www.intelligentactuator.com/single-axis-selection-tool/
Start by making selections from the pull-down menus to quickly target your desired specs and the list will instantly filter out actuators that don’t meet your selection range.
You can then quickly view and download specific actuator PDFs, manuals, and CAD files of any of the models you choose.
For applications that are suited for smaller actuators and lighter loads, please refer to our ROBO Cylinder® selection tool at www.intelligentactuator.com/part-search/
Please let us know if you encounter any problems or frustrations with the tool by giving us a call or replying to this email and we’ll help you out ASAP.
Application: Reduced Costs for Chocolate Quality Inspection
How We Reduced Costs for the Quality Inspection Process
· An air cylinder was used to move the camera for quality inspection.
· Pressure adjustment to set the specified speed was difficult, and the speed was unstable even after adjustment.
· As a result of moving the camera at high speed in order to achieve the necessary number of production per day, the camera was damaged every year from the shock (at the start / stop) received at the stroke end.
[Improvements by Electric Actuation]
· With smooth acceleration / deceleration, it is now possible to move at a stable and high speed without the shock impact at the stroke end. This reduced the cycle time.
· The camera no longer needed to be replaced.
[Results of Improvement]
· Improved cycle time and increased production efficiency.
→ 25% higher production efficiency.
· The shortening of inspection work time reduced labor costs.
The number of production required per day is 54,000.
Inspection time was reduced from 15 hours to 12 hours per day after electric motorization, which means the inspection time was reduced 3 hours per day.
Annual number of working days 240 days, labor cost $18 / hour
3 hours × 240 days × $18
→ Reduced annual labor cost by $12,960.
· Eliminated camera replacement cost.
→ Reduced cost $8,000 per year.
Single axis robot: ISDB-L-400
IAI Sales & Tech Support Lines
Please call IAI America from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm at these locations:
Eastern U.S. office: (888) 354-9470
Central U.S. office: (800) 944-0333
Western U.S. office: (800) 736-1712
Outside office hours, please use our contact form.